Monday, June 6, 2011

Etsy Craft Party: Be Mary By Hand


Jesse from Be Mary By Hand, a Tulsa Etsy shop has graciously donated a door prize for our event!

She is sharing "Ethelaia the American Shorthair Sweater Cat." She is a softy cat made out of a 100% cashmere sweater. Her face is hand-embroidered and she is adorned with a patchwork upcycled skirt and a green beaded elastic necklace. She is about 18" tall and comes in a coordinating handmade drawstring bag.

I asked Jesse to tell us about her and her shop. This is what she wrote:
"My Grandma Mary inspired me to create with my hands. I wish I could say that I actually learned to crochet, paint, or sew from her before she passed away, but I didn't catch the bug until it was too late. But I was always in awe of the gifts she made her four daughters every Christmas. Some elaborate, like afghans, and some simpler things as her health started deteriorating. I love that her home was filled with homemade things. I desire to create the same type of space, with love and detail in every corner, to one day leave a legacy for my family. I have two small children, and love to make things useful to mothers and babies. Things that are unique and beautiful and make me feel special. Mostly I have been making stuffed animals and bags with lots of pockets, occasionally I branch out, but I only have so much free time! I love to conserve and reuse materials like shirt and sweaters, but I also love to go to the fabric store and snatch up all the bright colors. "

Be sure to check out her shop. She has lots of cute items. I'm crushing on this dinosaur. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment