Saturday, June 4, 2011

"Berry" Awesome!

This morning Josh's Mom, Lindi, his sister-in-law, Emily, and I all went out to Thunderbird Berry Farm to pick blueberries.  There were so many, and they are just starting to come into season! In the 1 1/2 hours we were there we each picked 3 pounds of blueberries.


I've decided I'm going to can some blueberry jam. I'm taking the easy way though and doing through freezing instead of pressured cooking. From the little bit of research I've done I've gathered that it is actually tastier and healthier to freeze the jam because it cuts out the cooking process leaving just the fresh berries.


I picked up some of the Ball Freezer Jars at the grocery store for $3 a package of 5. These jars are awesome because the lids are shaped so that the bottom of one jar locks into the top of another jar. That means I can stack them in the freezer like its nothing! It really looks simple and not like an the all day chore that imagined. Tomorrow morning I'll run to the grocery store to get pectin and more jars, and then I'll be set to make yummy jam!! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great...let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete